Our Bachelor of Business (Honours) course will equip you with a broad business skill-base, ensuring graduates will have a wide range of career options. The first two years of this course provide a foundation in business, this allows you time to explore future career choices open to graduates in the different specialism streams. Expert guidance will be available from lecturing staff and ultimate choices can then be considered across the range of business subject areas.
This is a four-year degree programme, where you will complete the first two years in Portlaoise Institute, followed by Years 3 and 4 in South East Technological University (SETU), Kilkenny Road Campus, Carlow. Students will be registered with SETU from Year 1 and will have access to the full range of services offered to students by both SETU and LOETB
- Embedded Awards exist after successful completion of each year – see Accreditation.
- After two years in Portlaoise Institute, students choose their preferred stream of study in SETU’s Carlow campus – see Study Streams.
Entry Requirements & Eligibility
Prospective learners wishing to be accepted onto the programme must meet the following minimum entry criteria:
- Leaving Certificate; 2H5 & 4O6/H7; English or Irish O6/H7; Mathematics O6/H7
- Level 5 major award
- Other qualifications equivalent to a major award at level 5 on the NFQ
For applicants whose first language is not English, the standard required of applicants is B2 (or equivalent) on Common European Framework of Reference CEFR for languages in writing, reading, listening and speaking. Evidence of achievement of this standard is necessary for entry to the programme.
Applications are welcome from individuals that do not meet the minimum entry requirement who are aged 21 years or over (at date of commencement of programme). Such an applicant will be assessed on their merits, taking into account their life experience, work or community experience, and recognition of prior learning.
Our Unified Tertiary Programmes aim to encourage the participation and success of students from sections of society under-represented in higher education, by offering degree programmes at a local level. In the event of over subscription to the programmes, priority will be given to applicants who most demonstrate local need.
- On successful completion of Year 1, students will receive a SETU Certificate in Business, (Component Award).
- On successful completion of Year 2, students will receive the SETU Higher Certificate in Business, Level 6, 120 ECTS Credits.
- On successful completion of Year 3, Students will receive the SETU Bachelor of Business, Level 7, 180 ECTS Credits.
- On successful completion of Year 4, Students will receive the SETU Bachelor of Business (Honours), Level 8, 240 ECTS Credits.
Study Streams for Years 3 & 4
- Business Management – This option equips students with the management knowledge, skill and competencies demanded by modern day business. Graduates may find employment as part of a management team in any sector such as banking, industry, public sector, financial services and many more.
- Human Resource Management – Human resource management is a complex area requiring broad knowledge and skills. This specialism equips graduates for careers as recruitment officers, human resource managers, recruitment specialists or functional managers both in the private and public sector.
- International Business – With increasing industry globalisation, graduates of international business will be well qualified to meet the complex demands of global organisations and Irish businesses trading internationally. Graduates typically find employment in areas such as banking; international marketing and sales; and customer services.
- Supply Chain Management – Supply chain management is an increasingly important aspect of business management and it is concerned with managing the flow of goods from material acquisition to final consumption. Graduates typically find employment in all manufacturing sectors from pharmaceuticals to food processing as well as within the logistics and the distribution sector.
- Finance and Accounting – Finance and accounting is a sector that demands graduates with key skills and understanding of the context in which businesses operate – the accountancy profession, the business entity, the capital markets and the public sector. Graduates will be equipped to work in areas such as accountancy, banking, financial services and tax.
- Marketing – Marketing is practiced around the world in every type of organisation including multinationals, local enterprises, political parties, third-world charities, sporting organisations and small businesses. Marketing careers are varied and include: research, advertising, marketing, brand management, product development, public relations, international marketing and sales.
- Years 1 and 2
- Years 3 and 4
South East Technological University
Anne Marie Keane: